Tuesday, February 12, 2008

HOME TO RICHMOND HILL AND BACK - 12 miles

HOME TO RICHMOND HILL AND BACK - 12 miles, 1hr 50 minutes
Saturday, 2-09-2008

The Workout:
~12 mile run, 1hr 50 minutes

Saturday I woke up early with a bee in my bonnet about going for a longer run. I took off with the plan of running over to the Disc golf course at Richmond Hill, round the course and back home. I figured about an 8 mile round trip was in order.

Google maps says 9.2 miles for the road portion and I'm estimating 3 miles to run the 18 holes and a bit extra for taking a somewhat creative way back home (I gambled on a shortcut that wasn't) so we'll call the run an even 12.

It was great getting out. My left knee started twinging about 45 minutes in. I didn't have a phone so I was screwed if ITB reared its ugly head and I had to walk all the way back to the barn. I frustratedly wondered why my knee never hurts on shorter jaunts when I'm running much harder. I speculated it had something to do with my form when going slower. I tested the waters by cranking up the speed a bit. BINGO, the pain immediately went away. As I slowed back to an easy jog, it annoyed me again. For the rest of the run I kept up a higher tempo. When ever I got tired and slowed I could feel my knee again and would speed back up.

It was like having a constant whip being cracked over my shoulders but I made it back home alright with no further problems. This week should tell me if that was a dumb decision or sound logic.

No comments: