Sunday, April 20, 2008

14 mile spin and new book

The Workout:
14 mile road bike - Zone 2

Today I took an hour and a half during Ellie's nap today to head out for a road ride. It was in the low sixties and quite comfortable. I rode the two miles down to the French Broad river velodrome at a moderate pace. Once there I tossed the bike on my shoulder and ran the stairs. On the other side, I stretched for a few minutes and then pulled out into the empty track. The first mile, I altnerated laps both legs, left leg only, both legs, right leg only to work on spinning efficiency and full stroke strength on each leg. After that, I rode normally except for doing those alternating leg drill miles every third mile for a total of 10 miles on the track. At the end, I ran the ramps over the track with bike on shoulder for practice. I wanted to keep riding but zipped home knowing that Bethany could drop baby any day now.

Later at the park between us flying kites and playing with tadpoles, I busted out some handstands.

notes:
I rode with an mp3 player today. I have put this off until now so I could maintain focus but it was a nice addition and I still felt focused during the track session.

Bethany got me a book "Going Long" on Ironman distance Triathlons thinking that I could pull some useful techniques and workouts and apply them to our 30 hr AR in September. I am only two chapters in and have already found a lot of useful information. I think it will be a valuable tool in my informational arsenal and who knows... maybe one day I will attempt to bite off an Ironman.

No comments: