Friday, April 25, 2008

Hospital Workout 2

The Workout:
fartlek - 1hr

I was feeling pretty good again last night and went out for another fartlek style workout. This time, I took 5 laps around the hospital campus. In the first lap, I identified several interesting areas and made up some basic drills or exercises to do there. On each successive lap, I would change the exercise a bit to keep them interesting. Once again, I treked (briskly walked) up and down the stairs and steep stuff and jogged between exercise areas without rest.

View From Our Room

1. At the dip bar, I would traverse back and forth 3 times in the dead hang position, scramble myself up to a dip position and walk across and back and then finish up with some sort of both feet & both hands monkey hang traverse.

2. At a 10 degree pitched grassy hill I would crab walk up it feet first, turn around and dog walk down on all fours, hands first. On the way up, I had to rely on my hamstrings to pull me up the hill and my arms, shoulders, stomach and back to support most of my weight. On the way back down, my triceps, shoulders and pecs did most of the work. (This is a suprisingly effective workout for butt, hamstrings, shoulders, pectorals, triceps, stomach and back!)
3. In a long empty parking garage, I jogged down on the line of concrete car stops, hopping from one to the next working on balance and focus. It became more difficult to maintain balance on the last two or so laps as I got tired and started to lose focus.

Another fun workout for the books. It really reminded me of being in highschool and running around Yellow Springs at night as I discovered tons of cool little nooks and crannies of the hospital grounds. We're headed home today if Bethany's doctor will ever show up to clear her so I won't be out again tonight. I have however rediscovered the benefits of having unstructured exercise from time to time. As long as I keep to an underlying theme like "1hr of continuous low level cardio", it can be quite an effective workout and more importantly it does a lot to keep things fresh and stave off workout burnout.

No comments: