Friday, May 2, 2008

Cardio Workout - Sisyphus


The Workout:
[50 min cardio in gym]

1 mile run - flat treadmill, 7:30min/mile pace
Stairmaster - 12 min, hill workout, level 6
Rowing machine - 10 min, level 9
Judo push-ups - 20
Sisyphus - 8min, 4mph, level 10 incline, w/ 8lb medicine ball
Exercise bike - 5 min, little resistance

After 8 days with no exercise to speak of, I have been unbelievably antsy to get back in the rhythm of working out regularly and simultaneously too tired and committed to really do anything about it. As it turns out, the time off was actually a great step towards staving off overuse injuries and burnout. Any minor aches I was having in my legs, back, shoulders seem to have all gone away.

I came into town early this morning to get in a quick cardio workout before work. It was my fairly standard regimen with the new addition of the "Sisyphus", an exercise described in a race report that Jason discovered a few weeks ago by UltraBambi.

In Greek mythology, Sisyphus was sentenced to push a boulder up a hill only to have it roll back down again for all eternity. The idea is to quickly walk on a treadmill set on its steepest incline, carrying plates (ranging from 25 to 45 lbs) in alternating hands, then directly overhead. I was somewhat skeptical about the effectiveness of such a workout but decided to give it a go. I cranked up the treadmill to a brisk 4mph (15min/mile pace) and a steep incline. Grabbing a handy 8lb medicine ball I hopped on and started hiking. Every 15 seconds I would hold the medicine ball in a different position; behind my back, over my head, to each side and out in front. 8 minutes and a half mile later, my heart was pounding in my chest and I was doing all I could to keep up the pace and avoid slipping off the back of the treadmill. When I stepped off, I felt light headed and negotiated not passing out by squeezing my abdominals like a fighter pilot dealing w/ heavy G-forces. Whew! What a great addition. That was good on many levels. 1) It is low impact so could be done often without worry of injury, 2) it really cranks up the heart, 3) it works the chest, arms, back and shoulders and 4) It brings the core muscles and body balance into play.

I believe that Trekking is my weakest link when compared to biking, boating and running. Sisyphus could be the answer so I'm going to make it a permanent addition to my cardio workouts in the gym.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny to hear someone else is doing the Sisyphus workout! The way we do it is to carry the weight in one hand for a minute, the other for one minute, directly overhead for one minute, and behind the head for one minute, then repeat. Obviously there are heaps of variations, tho -- all equally effective. Glad it works for you!

Best,
Brian (from UltraBambi)