Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Gym workout - Upper body and Sisyphys

The Workout:
30 min upperbody - 3 sets on machines of: 25 crunches, 20 curls, 20 press-ups (bench), 20 dips, 20 lat pulls, 20 military press-ups, 20 rows, 20 butterflies

30 min Sisyphus - treadmill, incline (15), 25 mins speed (3.0), 5 mins speed (3.5), 15lb medicine ball, 30 second alternation (front, r.side, back, l.side, overhead)

1 mile run - flat treadmill, 7:30min/mile pace

Stretch - 10 mins

Today I hit the upperbody portion aggressively and was finished in around 25 minutes. The first set was too heavy as I had to really reduce the weight on the last set to get out 20 reps on each exercise.

I used a different treadmill this time capable of a steeper incline. I maxed it out but reduced the speed from the 4.0 I used last time to 3.0. That equates to 3 miles/hr or 20 min/mile pace. After the hard upper body workout, it was tough enough to make me think I might not make the full 30 minutes. The biggest problem was the vinyl covered medicine ball getting sweaty making it quite slippery and fairly taxing to hold on to. The middle 10 minutes were the hardest but after 20 minutes I knew I was golden. After 25 minutes I upped the speed to 3.5 miles/hr and finished it out. I then dropped the medicine ball, returned the treadmill incline to flat and set the speed on 8.0 (8 miles/hr or 7:30min/mile pace) Throughout this run, I monitored a slight twinge in my left knee. I decided it wasn't enough to stop and it feels OK now.

After getting some water, I spend about 10 minutes stretching.

This was a tough workout!

No comments: