Saturday, May 10, 2008

Newfound Gap Bike Loop

The Workout:
Road ride - 3hrs w/ pack
Run - 20 min w/ pack

I hit the road at 5am this morning and rode a loop around the mountains behind our house, over Newfound Gap. Our house sits at 2200' ASL. The gradual elevation changes during the 34 mile ride were mild and the high point was Newfound Gap at 3000' ASL. Having rained all night until around 4:30am, Hwy 19/23 was very wet for the 13 mile ride into Canton. The spray from my front tire was just the perfect height to hit me in the face at faster speeds so I rode much slower than conditions allowed. Things eventually dried out by the time I got to the Champion paper plant in Canton.From there I got off track a bit as I didn't bring a map but after an extra mile or so, I was on Newfound road heading out into the country. Sunrise was beautiful in the valley fog and there was very little traffic going in my direction. Once over the gap, a fast 12 mile descent let me down into Georgetown. From Georgetown it was a quick jaunt down New Leciester Hwy back home. Once again I realized I need a side view mirror for my helmet when riding in traffic.
Noteworthy experiences were learning where the WNC ice cream van fleet lives, racing frisky horses and being chased by the fastest dog in the world.
Once back home, I switched to running shoes and jogged around our neighborhood for 20 minutes, wrapping up by 8:30am. All in all a fantastic morning.

No comments: