Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hike a Bike

The Workout:
3 miles road riding
2 miles hiking w/ bike on shoulder

Last night:
15 seconds hs balancing
5 hs pushups on wall

This morning, I rode in to work... sort of. First I rode down to the French Broad River velodrome and cranked out a mile around the track on my mtn bike. From there I rode the river system trails and then river road towards town. A mile later, I heard a hissing sound and found a metal shard sticking out of my back wheel. It flattened my tire in about 10 seconds. Not having a patch kit or pump with me, I resolved to hike the remaining 2 miles to work instead of calling Bethany for the pick-up. Since my bike has a rear shock smack in the middle of the front triangle, carrying with my shoulder through there is not an option. I eventually just picked the bike higher and rest the down tube on my shoulder with the chain ring cassette just behind my back (bike facing forward). It wasn't ideal but at least I could balance it there and only needed one arm to hold it in place. I carried it about a quarter mile each time before switching shoulders. My shoulders started getting a little sore from the metal tube sitting on my thin jacket so I used my wool hat as a shoulder pad. It wasn't going to get much better than this so I pounded the streets with a brisk walk and actually made it to work on time by the skin of my teeth.

Next time I'll be more prepared but it is good to have figured out how to carry my bike in a pinch and that it isn't all that bad.

On the hand stand push-up front, I can do ~5 hs pushups on a wall but am really more interested in getting them done from a true balanced hand stand position. I do several hand stands most nights and am getting much better at it. Usually by the time I finally get stabilized, my arms are tired from adjusting (walking around) and I can just lower myself, touch my head to the floor and then fall down. I am progressing and don't think it'll be long before I get one in the bag. Once that happens, it's on like the break of dawn baby!

No comments: