Friday, March 7, 2008

Quickie Night Ride

The Workout:

5 miles mountain biking (2.5 out and back)
1000' climb

Last night I got home and was completely restless from not having ran or rode this week. I skipped dinner and hopped on the bike and rode from my house to the end of the road up Spivey Mountain. It was just what I needed. 1000 feet of climbing over 2.5 miles. On the way back down I practiced going fast and then braking with just the front or back brakes and trying to stop as fast as possible while still maintaining control and not skidding. I was a lot more timid using the front brake but started to get the hang of it. Next I experimented using both brakes and realized that I under utilize my front brake most of the time. Once I got it dialed in, I could go from 25 mph to stopped on a 14% grade in 20 - 30 yards.

No comments: