Saturday, March 15, 2008

Endurance training

THE WORKOUT:
2 hrs 3 min of jogging

This morning I jogged back over to Richmond Hill discgolf course. I stuffed a granola bar in my shorts and took a full water bottle. After 15 minutes I dropped the bottle behind a tree by the Clear Channel broadcast station. I made it to the first hole of the course at the 42 minute mark.

Halfway around the dg course I deviated to a trail system that descended to the French Broad river. I scrambled down a steep bank, jumped the railroad tracks and slid down another bank to the river. After splashing my face with cool water I went back up and followed the trail to its end heading South. I circled back around to where I picked up the trail and followed it North to a small drainage. There are tons of trails down here that are begging to be explored but I think I'll do it on my bike next time to cover more ground. From there I headed West for about a mile and ended up on the old Richmond Hill course. That was awesome as no one goes back there anymore. The carpet pads that made up the tee boxes are all still there but everything else has been torn down and the woods are quickly reclaiming the area. The trail portion added some distance to the run but was really nice cruising along single track in the woods with no-one around. It was also eerily quiet from the recent rain. At the 60 minute mark I started eating the granola bar until it was gone and at the 1hr 45min mark I was back to pick up my water bottle.

I ran slow but steady the whole time and broke the run down mentally into smaller manageable distances varying from 7 minutes to 15 minutes.

* I've been thinking more and more about the Impossible Panther on May 4th. Need to check with the posse.

No comments: